Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2021

S.G. Blaise – The IAN Interview


S.G. was born in a faraway land of castles, monarchies and fallen dictatorships. Hollywood movies were forbidden under the Soviet oppression during her childhood, but her dad smuggled them in anyway, risking his life so that his children could experience the magic and hope inherent in those stories. She watched rebellions unfold in real time. Journeyed across the Atlantic Ocean for love. She ended up in sunny California, where she is living her dream - writing stories and annoying family members.

IAN: Please tell us about your latest book.

S.G. Blaise: This is a coming-of-age story of Lilla. She is a not-your-average princess and a rebel-in-disguise, fighting for the refugee's freedom. The arrival of the mysterious and ruggedly-handsome Callum brings news of a bigger battle - the Era War between the two ruling archgods- that threatens not only Lilla's home world but everyone else's in the Seven Galaxies.

Lilla must learn to control her magic and defeat the dark god before He finds her - the last Lumenian.


IAN: Is The Last Lumenian published in print, e-book or both?

S.G. Blaise: Both. Ebook, paperback and audiobook as well.

IAN: Where can we go to buy your book?

 Amazon.com

 Audible.com

 Apple.com

 Google.com

 BarnesandNoble.com

 Kobo.com

IAN: Did you use an outline or do you just wing the first draft?

S.G. Blaise: I did an outline, planning the scenes out ahead of time, but making sure to leave room for improvisation. I found that combining the two worked really well for me.

IAN: Do you have a specific writing style?

S.G. Blaise: I aim to write in a vivid, movie-like style and prefer the first person POV. Sprinkled with humor and of course, with a little bit of romance.

IAN: What do you hope your readers come away with after reading The Last Lumenian?

S.G. Blaise: I hope my readers come away entertained but also a feeling of excitement to embark on a journey with Lilla, following her as she discovers her true purpose and legendary powers. There is a lot more to come!

IAN: How is The Last Lumenian different from others in your genre?

S.G. Blaise: While The Last Lumenian is a fantasy action story, it also weaves together elements of fairytale, magic and mythology with science fiction, creating an original and complex setting for the main hero. The readers experience multiple storylines that allow them to be truly immersed inside the story and get to know Lilla and her world as if they are experiencing it themselves.

IAN: What book are you reading now? 

S.G. Blaise: I love reading Urban Fantasy books, Science fiction and even certain Historical fictions. I love reading stories that have humor and a little bit of romance in them. 

IAN: Do you see writing as a career?

S.G. Blaise: Writing is my passion and storytelling is who I am. 

IAN: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? 

S.G. Blaise: At this moment, I feel as if I poured my soul into this story. Probably along with a pint of blood from all those papercuts.

IAN: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

S.G. Blaise: I think it all started when I had a nightmare at age ten. I had a strong urge to write it down as a form of excising the dream’s terrible hold over me. But as I was writing it down, I was able to take the control back and change the story, morphing it into something that could have been even called entertaining. 

IAN: Who designed the cover?

S.G. Blaise: I had the fortune of working with Tim Barber from Dissect Designs. It was a lot of fun creating the cover that showcases the important elements of the story while also being eye-catching. It just won the Best Cover: Fiction category at the 2020 Annual “Best Books” Awards.

IAN: What was the hardest part of writing The Last Lumenian? 

S.G. Blaise: I think the hardest part was not knowing how long writing the book would take. It turns out it took six years, and one more year to publish it.

IAN: Did you learn anything from writing The Last Lumenian and what was it? 

S.G. Blaise: I feel like I’ve learned a lot from writing this book - about commitment, hard work and perseverance. About who I am and who I want to be. About how to enjoy the process and the journey. And most of all, about patience.

IAN: Tell us about your next book or a work in progress. Is it a sequel or a stand-alone?

S.G. Blaise: True Teryn: The Last Lumenian Book 2 is set to be released on December 10, 2021.


No comments:

Post a Comment